Please see the email below from Mason's Dr. Leila Hamdan in ESP

Hello Everyone,
Faculty from GMU's Environmental Science and Policy Department are leading two oceanographic expeditions in the Gulf of Mexico from March 14 -23 and July 13-22, 2014.  The goal of the expedition is to determine the impact of the Deepwater Horizon Spill on 19th century and WWII era shipwrecks located in the deep marine biosphere at varying distances from the spill epicenter.
The study aims to understand how microbial biofilms which colonize shipwrecks and assist a shipwreck in becoming an artificial reef have been impacted by oil and chemical dispersants resulting from the spill and mitigation efforts.

We will be using a remotely operated vehicle (ROV) to visualize shipwrecks found at depths greater than 1000m, and to collect 3D sonar data, wreck debris, coral fragments, and sediment samples.

We will be posting daily updates from the field, and hope that you will follow our expedition!

You can follow the study at the Microbiome Analysis Center's NEW website, or on Twitter or Facebook.  Here is how:

Twitter:                @MBAC_GMU and #GOM-SCHEMA
Web:                     mbac.gmu.edu/mbac_wp/gulf_wrecks/<http://mbac.gmu.edu/mbac_wp/gulf_wrecks/>
                                  mbac.gmu.edu/mbac_wp/news/<http://mbac.gmu.edu/mbac_wp/news/>
Facebook:             www.facebook.com/mbac.gmu.edu<http://%20%20www.facebook.com/mbac.gmu.edu>

Thanks and best,

Leila Hamdan
PI and Chief Scientist  - GOM-SCHEMA (Gulf of Mexico- Shipwreck Corrosion, Hydrocarbon Exposure, Microbiology and Archaeology)
Leila J. Hamdan, Ph.D.
Associate Director, Microbiome Analysis Center
Assistant Professor, Department of Environmental Science and Policy
George Mason University
Prince William Campus
10900 University Boulevard, MSN 4D4
Manassas, VA 20110