*_Notice and Invitation_*
Oral Defense of Doctoral Dissertation
The Volgenau School of Engineering, George Mason University

*Mohammad Ababneh*
Bachelor of Science, Mu'tah University, 1994
Master of Science, Naval Postgraduate School, 2000

A Dynamic Dialog System Using Semantic Web Technologies

Thursday, 01/16/2014, 11:00AM
Room 4801, Engineering Building

All are invited to attend.

*_Committee_*
Dr. Duminda Wijesekera, Chair
Dr. Arun Sood
Dr. Rao Mulpuri

Dr. Paulo Costa

*_Abstract_*

A dialog system or a conversational agent provides a means for a human
to interact with a computer system. Dialog systems use text, voice and
other means to carry out conversations with humans in order to achieve
some objective. Most dialog systems are created with specific objectives
in mind and consist of pre-programmed conversations. The primary
objective of this dissertation is to show that dialogs can be
dynamically generated using semantic technologies. I show the
feasibility by constructing a dialog system that can be specific to
control physical entry points, and that can withstand an attempt to
misuse the system by playing back previously recorded conversations. As
a solution my system randomly generates questions with a pre-specified
difficulty level and relevance, thereby not repeating conversations. In
order to do so, my system uses policies to govern the entrance rules,
and Item Response Theory to select questions derived from ontologies
relevant to those policies. Furthermore, by using contextual reasoning
to derive facts from a chosen context, my dialog system can be directed
to generate questions that are randomized within a topic, yet relevant
to the task at hand. My system design has been prototyped using a voice
interface. The prototype demonstrates acceptable performance on
benchmark data.

A copy of this doctoral dissertation is on reserve at the Johnson Center
Library.