List of Announcements (details below):

  * C4I Seminar: Friday, Jan 24, 1:30pm, Engr. Bldg., room 4705
  * Funding Opportunity: Commonwealth Research Commercialization Fund
    [Update]
  * Mark Pullen & Nicholas Clark Receive Funding from Sierra Nevada
    Corp. and Air Force Research Lab.
  * Kun Sun & Max Albanese Receives Funding from University of
    Washington and US Dept. of the Army

*C4I Seminar: Friday, Jan 24, 1:30pm, Engr. Bldg., room 4705*

Please mark your calendars and plan to attend the C4I Seminar Series on
Friday, Jan 24, from 1:30 pm to 2:30 pm in the Engineering Building,
room 4705. Dr. Wei Sun discusses "/Efficient User Assets Management by
Trade-based Asset Blocks and Dynamic Junction Tree for Combo Prediction
Markets/." For further information contact Deb Schenaker, (703)
993-3682, email: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>, or
visit our website http://c4i.gmu.edu/.

/Abstract/

We have often heard that the collective wisdom of an informed and
diverse group usually out-performs individual experts on forecasting and
estimation tasks. The key question is how best to aggregate those
diverse judgments.In 2010, it wasn't known whether any system could
reliably beat the simple average.Mason is among the teams that reliably
did so for two years in IARPA's ACE forecasting challenge. In June 2013
we closed down our geopolitical prediction market to create SciCast, a
new and improved science & technology market. This talk discusses
ongoing improvements to the SciCast forecasting engine.

Unlike other prediction markets, SciCast allows forecasters make
conditional forecasts: the chance that China's lunar rover would deploy
can be made to depend on a successful soft lunar landing. To avoid a
combinatorial explosion, SciCast uses Bayesian networks as the
underlying probability model.But tracking the joint probability
structure is not enough: markets also must track assets for each user,
awarding users for correct forecasts and ensuring there is no possible
world where they go negative.Previously, we tracked assets using the
same junction tree structure as the joint probability model. This
approach provides fast computation of the minimum value and expected
value. However, it wastes a lot of space: the majority of users trade
sparsely relative to the total number of questions, and even more
sparsely compared to the whole joint probability space.Therefore most of
the asset junction tree remains untouched. Worse, every time a question
is added or resolved, we have to update the asset tree for all users,
just in case.

We think a trade-based method can overcome this problem and be
computationally efficient as well. It turned out that we can build asset
blocks involving the questions being traded only, then collect them in
an organized manner such as merging sub-block to its super set. Further,
when computing user score and cash, we can construct an asset junction
tree dynamically, based on the collection of asset blocks then use the
asset junction tree for efficient computations. When questions are
resolved, it is straightforward to update user's asset blocks
accordingly. Basically, for any asset block which contains the resolved
questions, we realize the resolving state and truncate the block.

In this presentation, I will explain in detail how the trade-based asset
blocks are built and how to construct the corresponding asset junction
tree dynamically. Computational examples will be demonstrated and
compared with other alternative methods. For general questions about
prediction markets or other background knowledge, please visit
https://scicast.org/.

/Speaker Information/

Dr. Wei Sun is a research assistant professor of the Sensor Fusion Lab
and the C4I Center at George Mason University, where he works on
stochastic modeling, probabilistic reasoning, optimization, decision
support systems, data fusion and general operations research. Dr. Sun
focuses his research on inference algorithm for hybrid Bayesian
networks, nonlinear filtering, and information fusion. He is an expert
in Bayesian inference and developer of several efficient inference
algorithms. He is also a contributor/committer of the open-source Matlab
BN toolbox. Applications of his research include tracking, fusion,
bioinformatics, classification, diagnosis, etc.Prior to joining GMU, Dr.
Wei Sun was a Senior Analyst with United Airlines, Inc. and a
professional Electrical Engineer in China. He is the recipient of the
GMU's Academic Excellence Award in 2003 and PhD Fellowship during 2003-2007.

*Funding Opportunity: Commonwealth Research Commercialization Fund [Update]*

[I included this last week.It is a limited-submission program.If you
wish to submit a proposal, please forward to Keith Bushey
([log in to unmask]) no later January 22nd the following information:the
names of the PI, a title, target program and a brief abstract (2000
characters in laymen's term) with relevant references from the PIs along
with your curriculum vitae.PIs will be notified by noon on January 24.]

In this second of two FY2014 solicitations, CRCF offers six programs
targeting Virginia's public and private colleges and universities, the
private sector, nonprofit research institutions, and political
subdivisions. Programs offered this round are: Commercialization,
Eminent Researcher Recruitment, Facilities Enhancement Loan, Matching
Funds, SBIR Matching Funds, and STTR Matching Funds. Details on these
programs, including eligibility requirements and submission caps, are
provided in program-specific guidelines.

<http://www.cit.org/initiatives/crcf/fy2014-solicitation/>

Deadlines:
01/31/14:letter of intent
02/21/14:application deadline

CRCF award recipients from previous solicitations:
www.cit.org/initiatives/crcf-awards/
<http://www.cit.org/initiatives/crcf-awards/>

Questions: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

*Mark Pullen & Nicholas Clark Receive Funding from Sierra Nevada Corp.
and Air Force Research Lab*

Mark Pullen and Nicholas Clark of the C4I Center received $88K from the
Sierra Nevada Corporation and the Air Force Research Laboratory for
their project "Academic PlugFest Follow-On Project".

*Kun Sun & Max Albanese Receive Funding from University of Washington
and US Dept. of the Army*

Kun Sun and Max Albanese of the Center for Secure Information Systems
received $115K from the University of Washington and the U.S. Department
of the Army for his project "Modeling and Analysis of Moving Target
Defense Mechanisms in MANET".

[This notice was included in my News announcements for 01/13/14, but did
not include Max Albanese as one of the PIs.The Office of Sponsored
Programs is using a new format for announcing awards, and this has made
it more difficult for me to identify all the PIs on an award, as well as
the organization associated with the award.Please let me know if an
announcement omits relevant information.]

Stephen G. Nash
Senior Associate Dean
Volgenau School of Engineering
George Mason University