Simone, I think you're right, the MASON JUNG example is pretty old.  Unfortunately we don't have any recent combinations of MASON and JUNG.  [Note that MASON has its own lightweight -- and not well tested -- social networks package as well if you're interested].

As to GIS: GeoMASON is pretty good.  But we don't have any examples combining the three.

Sean