Facebook icon Twitter icon

Earn 3 Honors Credits Abroad! These programs are still open!

HNRS 240

Great Cities: Berlin, Budapest, Sarajevo, Belgrade

This study abroad program will be led again by Dr. Yehuda Lukacs and will take students from Berlin to Budapest, Sarajevo, and Belgrade.

Participants will have the opportunity to examine political, economic, social, and cultural developments in post-communist, East-Central Europe. By visiting four countries - Germany, Hungary, Serbia, and Bosnia and Herzegovina – students will be able to observe the tremendous transformation of East-Central Europe since the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989. History in this region is not merely confined to dusty books in libraries; the burden of history seems to resonate in the lives of individuals and plays a key role in the formation of a collective identity within each society in the region. By walking the streets of these magnificent European cities, visiting relevant sites, and talking to locals, participating students should be able to develop an appreciation of what is meant by “the burden of history” in East-Central Europe.

HNRS 122

London: Theatre Tour

This Winter Break, make the world your stage by studying abroad for two weeks in London!

Led by Rick Davis, Professor of Theater at George Mason University, this study abroad program has been one of CGE's most popular for nine years running! Besides being open to non-Mason students, this program is open to members of the general public who are 18 years of age or older.

Participants will see 8 shows, ranging from fringe productions to West End productions. Last year, the plays included:

  • The Royal Shakespeare Company's Merry Wives of Windsor
  • Uncle Vanya
  • The Dark Earth and the Light Sky
  • One Man, Two Guvnors
  • The Animals and Children took to the Streets

HNRS 240

Central America: Sustainability, Develpment and Tourism in Costa Rica and Nicaragua

Experience the natural beauty of Central America in this four weeks study abroad tour of Costa Rica and Nicaragua. Earn 3 undergraduate credits while you explore sustainable development, culture and eco tourism. Spanish is not required but it is great opportunity to improve your skills!

HNRS 230

South Africa: Community Building in Historic Zululand

This course explores the new democracy of South Africa in the summer season of the Southern Hemisphere.  We invite students to go on an academic and experiential journey through the tropical province of KwaZulu-Natal.

South Africa Gallery (by Benedict Carton)

On the Indian Ocean coast, we will live with Zulu families in urban townships and rural villages, where we will observe infrastructure projects, cultural performances, and traditional rituals. Local historians and district chiefs will introduce students to the challenges of national development after “Mandela’s Miracle” and to legendary stories of Shaka Zulu and his kingdom in sacred Emakhosini, or “Valley of the Kings,” the burial place of Zulu founders. Our group will also visit nearby Hluhluwe-iMfolozi game park, walking in the landscape of the “Big Five” animals. Our immersion in the natural, social, and political worlds of KwaZulu-Natal will enable us to study the impact of European colonialism and constitutional change on conservation policy, land restitution, and eco-tourism.  Finally, we will participate in local education and public health initiatives with the goal of understanding how the lives of ordinary people have changed since the first all-race national elections in 1994.

You received this newsletter because you are part of the following listserv:
Honors.