Ralf, I'm sorry, I had misinterpreted your earlier posting as saying you had it figured it out.

You are correct, while Master-Slave allows for dynamic reintroduction of slave units, ECJ's island model does not allow dynamic reintroduction of island units.  There's not any real reason for this, except that (1) the island model code was written first [hindsight is 20/20] and (2) dynamic reintroduction is less useful for island models, since islands are supposed to be long-running stateful processes.  So we always figured the right strategy in the case of an island failure was to kill everything and restart from checkpoint (which they can do).  Perhaps we might add in dynamic reintroduction but it's somewhat complex to do right and a bit low in priority.

Sean