A lot of ECJ version-to-version is bugfixes and cleanups and simplificaiton, and certainly ECJ 21 is a lot of that.  But it also includes (off the top of my head) GE, Push, an entirely new PSO facility, Meta-GAs, improved distributed evaluation, significantly stronger coevolutionary facilities, GP benchmarks, and a bunch of new problems.

Sean