Are using chat windows directly from mason really the best idea for publications? I would think they're much better off for giving demonstrations and exploring the model. If you want to graph information, wouldn't you be better off just writing the data you want to a file, and then using a "real" plotting system to make the graphs? (Like gnuplot, R with ggplot2, or matplotlib/matlab, etc)

Most likely if you're going to plot data, you want to say something about that data as well, so you'd have to write it out anyway for analysis.

Plus, if you're doing multiple replications or running MASON without the GUI, the chart system doesn't do any good.