If you want to ensure that proportions are maintained (which may not be a
bad idea), then 1 is most certainly the way to go.

2 doesn't seem to make much sense, why not just have a single box that lets
you just resize it like any other window in any modern OS?

3 appears to be the cause of the change request, so obviously that's not an
option unless a majority of people really want to keep it the way it is?