CS Colloquium: Automatic Program Repair Using Genetic Programming

Monday, March 25, 2013
11:30am NEW TIME
Engineering 4201
Claire Le Goues

Abstract

"Everyday, almost 300 bugs appear...far too many for only the Mozilla
programmers to handle" --Mozilla developer, 2005  Software quality is a
pernicious problem. Although 40 years of software engineering research has
provided developers considerable debugging support, actual bug repair
remains a predominantly manual, and thus expensive and time-consuming,
process.  I will describe GenProg, a technique that uses evolutionary
computation to automatically fix software bugs. My empirical evidence
demonstrates that GenProg can quickly and cheaply fix a large proportion of
real-world bugs in open-source C programs.  I will also briefly discuss the
atypical evolutionary search space of the automatic program repair problem,
and the ways it has challenged assumptions about software defects.

Speaker's Bio

Claire Le Goues is a Ph.D. candidate in Computer Science at the University
of Virginia.  Her research interests lie in the intersection of software
engineering and programming languages, with a particular focus on software
quality and automated error repair.  Her work on automatic program repair
has been recognized with Gold and Bronze designations at the 2009 and 2012
ACM SIGEVO "Humies" awards for Human-Competitive Results Produced by Genetic
and Evolutionary Computation and several distinguished and featured paper
awards.