*/CS /**Colloquium: Automatic Program Repair Using Genetic Programming*

Monday, March 25, 2013
*11:30amNEW TIME
*Engineering 4201
*Claire Le Goues*

*Abstract*

"Everyday, almost 300 bugs appear...far too many for only the Mozilla
programmers to handle" --Mozilla developer, 2005  Software quality is a
pernicious problem. Although 40 years of software engineering research
has provided developers considerable debugging support, actual bug
repair remains a predominantly manual, and thus expensive and
time-consuming, process.  I will describe GenProg, a technique that uses
evolutionary computation to automatically fix software bugs. My
empirical evidence demonstrates that GenProg can quickly and cheaply fix
a large proportion of real-world bugs in open-source C programs.  I will
also briefly discuss the atypical evolutionary search space of the
automatic program repair problem, and the ways it has challenged
assumptions about software defects.

*Speaker's Bio*

Claire Le Goues is a Ph.D. candidate in Computer Science at the
University of Virginia.  Her research interests lie in the intersection
of software engineering and programming languages, with a particular
focus on software quality and automated error repair.  Her work on
automatic program repair has been recognized with Gold and Bronze
designations at the 2009 and 2012 ACM SIGEVO "Humies" awards for
Human-Competitive Results Produced by Genetic and Evolutionary
Computation and several distinguished and featured paper awards.