*
*    GRAND Seminar
*
*    http://cs.gmu.edu/~robotics/pmwiki.php/Main/GrandSeminar
*

*Title*

Multi-target Tracking by Rank-1 Tensor Approximation

*Time/Venue*

March 29, 12:30pm, Friday, 2013
ENGR 4201

*Speaker*

Haibin Ling  <http://www.dabi.temple.edu/%7Ehbling>
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Computer and Information Sciences
Temple University

*Abstract*

Multi-target tracking (MTT) is an important problem in computer vision
and has many applications. We introduce a novel framework for MTT using
the rank-1 tensor approximation and propose an L1 norm tensor power
iteration solution. In particular, a high order tensor is constructed
based on trajectories in the time window, with each tensor element as
the affinity of the corresponding trajectory. The assignment variables
are the L1 normalized vectors, which are used to approximate the rank-1
tensor. Our approach provides a flexible and effective formulation where
both pairwise and high-order association energy can be used expediently.
We also show the close relation between our formulation and the
multi-dimensional assignment (MDA) model. To solve the optimization in
the rank-1 tensor approximation, we propose an algorithm that
iteratively powers the intermediate solution followed by an L1 tensor
normalization. Aside from effectively capturing high-order motion
information, the proposed solver runs efficiently with proved
convergence. The experimental validations are conducted on two
challenging datasets and our method demonstrates promising performances
on both of them.

*Bio*

Haibin Ling received the B.S. degree in mathematics and the MS degree in
computer science from Peking University, China, in 1997 and 2000,
respectively, and the PhD degree from the University of Maryland,
College Park, in Computer Science in 2006. From 2000 to 2001, he was an
assistant researcher at Microsoft Research Asia, Beijing, China. From
2006 to 2007, he worked as a postdoctoral scientist at the University of
California Los Angeles. After that, he joined Siemens Corporate
Research, Princeton, NJ, as a research scientist. Since fall 2008, he
has been an Assistant Professor at Temple University. Dr. Ling's
research interests include computer vision, medical image analysis,
human computer interaction, and machine learning. He received the Best
Student Paper Award at the ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and
Technology (UIST) in 2003.

--
Jyh-Ming Lien
Assistant Professor, George Mason University

MASC Group: http://masc.cs.gmu.edu
Homepage: http://cs.gmu.edu/~jmlien