Greetings All!
Please mark your calendars and plan to attend the C4I Seminar Series on Friday February 22, from 1:30 pm to 2:30 pm in the Engineering Building, room 4705. Dr. Michael Hieb presents Brazil – US Collaborative Command and Control Research Testbed. For further information contact Deb Schenaker, 993-3682, email: [log in to unmask], or visit our website c4i.gmu.edu.

ABSTRACT

In 2010, during the XII Symposium of Operational Applications in Defense Areas in Brazil, a partnership was established between the Aeronautics Institute of Technology (ITA) and George Mason University (GMU) to create an environment to support Command and Control (C2) research. This environment is a Modeling and Simulation framework explicitly designed for investigating innovative applications in the areas of C2 Planning, Security and Cyber Warfare. The Collaborative C2 Research Testbed uses several COTS (Commercial Off-the-Shelf) tools along with Open Standards to provide a rapid prototyping and modeling environment for C2 scenarios. An overview of the Testbed will be presented focusing how the COTS Simulation tools are used to investigate three Brazilian C2 scenarios. MÄK VR-Forces provides a powerful and flexible simulation environment for scenario generation and execution. Scalable’s Cyber EXata provides a cyber-simulation that accurately emulates/simulates how complex communications will behave. Detailed use cases include: 1) Optimization of helicopter rescue missions due to flooding in the state of Santa Catarina in Brazil; 2) Simulation of a new Air Traffic Control System technology in the Campos Basin (a petroleum rich area with offshore oil fields that account for 80% of Brazil's oil production); and 3) Evaluation of the C2 infrastructure in Rio for the World Cup (2014) and the Olympics (2016).

SPEAKER INFORMATION

DR. MICHAEL HIEB is a Research Associate Professor at George Mason University's Center for Excellence in Command, Control, Communications, Computers and Intelligence (C4I Center) and a Technical Director for the Army's Simulation to C4I Overarching IPT (SIMCI OIPT). From 1997 to present, Dr. Hieb’s area of research has been the integration of Simulation technology into Command and Control Systems (for Military Organizations, Civil and Non Governmental Organizations). This has involved both NATO and IEEE working groups and has spanned the fields of Computer Science, Networking, Semantics, and Computational Linguistics. Dr. Hieb has over 110 publications and has presented his research to NATO, Brazil and other countries. He received his PhD in Information Technology from George Mason University in 1996.

---
C4I Admin, MSN 4B5
George Mason University
4400 University Drive