Please see the below flier for an upcoming event.

Cheers-
Nicole

GMU Film & Media Studies and Film & Video Studies Present
Johnson Center Cinema
George Mason University

Weds February 6, 2013 at 4:30pm

The screening will be followed by a Q&A with filmmakers

Kathy Berger and Ines Sommer

Where are the voices of torture survivors?

While Zero Dark Thirty is generating discussions of US policies concerning torture, the voices of torture survivors are rarely included. They become statistics, their suffering too easily ignored. But without their stories, torture remains abstract, something that happens to people we don't know.

Most Americans are unaware that many torture survivors live right in our midst: they are among the refugees and political asylees who have found safe harbor in the U.S. Some 500,000 of them are currently struggling to make new lives for themselves while healing their deep physical and psychological wounds.

Beneath the Blindfold counters the "blind spot" in our national conversation about torture by focusing on survivors' personal stories, insights, and struggles. In presenting the accounts of torture survivors, rather than of politicians, apparatchiks, and wonks, the film raises new questions for debates concerning U.S. practice and policy, as well as media representations of torture.

 Watch the trailer

This event is free and open to the public.

For more information, see Beneath the Blindfold or the FAMS event site.
Sponsored by the Film & Video Studies Program and the Film & Media Studies Program at George Mason University.

This email was sent to [log in to unmask] by [log in to unmask] |
GMU Film & Media Studies | MS 3E4 George Mason University | 4400 University Drive | Fairfax | VA | 22030

--
Cynthia Fuchs

George Mason University | MS 3E4
4400 University Drive | Fairfax VA 22030