I have been following this whole discussion, I think this all looks really
good. Hamiltonian has always made no sense to me (maybe vonNeumann vs.
Moore? I think Square vs. Diamond is still the most intuitive).

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Sean Luke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The overhaul of neighborhood functions in the grids gives us an
> opportunity to do some renaming of the new functions.  Issues:
>
>         - Sometimes we use "Position" (MASON terminology for a point
> on-screen) when we mean "Location" (MASON terminology for a location in a
> field), and that should be rectified
>
>         - "Max" and "Hamiltonian" are strange names.  Hamiltonian in
> particular is a term borrowed, I believe, from Repast, and I can't see any
> justification for it.  I am inclined to use "Square" and "Diamond", though
> this means we have to use different terms for the 3D case.
>
>         - "Neighbors" should refer to objects, not locations.
>
>         - It'd be nice if the names were shorter.
>
> So here is a possible renaming.  I'm just throwing it out here to get some
> feedback.
>
> Sean
>

> IN GRID2D and GRID3D AND SUBCLASSES:
>
> getNeighborsMaxDistance(...locations...)   ->   getLocationsInSquare
> getNeighborsHamiltonianDistance(...locations...)   ->
> getLocationsInDiamond
> getNeighborsHexagonalDistance(...locations...)   ->   getLocationsInHexagon
>

> IN OBJECTGRID2D, DENSEGRID2D, AND SPARSEGRID2D:
>
> getNeighborsMaxDistance(...objects...)   ->   getNeighborsInSquare
> getNeighborsHamiltonianDistance(...objects...)   ->   getNeighborsInDiamond
> getNeighborsHexagonalDistance(...objects...)   ->   getNeighborsInHexagon
>
> getNeighborsAndCorrespondingPositionsMaxDistance(...)   ->
> getNeighborsAndCorrespondingLocationsInSquare
> getNeighborsAndCorrespondingPositionsHamitonianDistance(...)   ->
> getNeighborsAndCorrespondingLocationsInDiamond
> getNeighborsAndCorrespondingPositionsHexagonalDistance(...)   ->
> getNeighborsAndCorrespondingLocationsInHexagon
>

> IN CONTINUOUS2D and CONTINUOUS3D:
>
> getNearestNeighbors(...)
> getObjectsExactlyWithinDistance(...)    ->
>  getNeighborsExactlyWithinDistance(...)
> getObjectsWithinDistance(...)           ->
>  getNeighborsWithinDistance(...)

Paul Smaldino, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Center for Advanced Modeling in the Social, Behavioral, and Health Sciences
Johns Hopkins University
http://www.smaldino.com