New Media Internship
National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution

The National Museum of American History has a track record of innovative and successful digital outreach.  From our websites to our blog to our social networking presence, millions of visitors experience the museum on-screen in addition to, or instead of, in person.

Through innovative and appropriate uses of technology, the Department of New Media facilitates interaction with the museum’s exhibitions, collections, and programs, both inside and outside the walls of the museum. Our goals are to:

The department seeks students interested in the power of new technologies to help the Museum advance its mission and connect with its online audiences.  Interns help museum staff with development and production of the museum’s website, e-mail newsletter, blog, social media outreach, Web analytics and online evaluation research, and strategic thinking about emerging technologies and their potential application in museums. Interns also regularly interface in meaningful ways with a wide variety of museum professionals including curators, educators, exhibition designers, and others. Fall 2012 projects will include the creation of several online exhibition websites and redesign of the museum’s blog.

Successful applicants will demonstrate familiarity with digital content management tools, good writing skills, and attention to detail. Other technical skills relating to digital content development are helpful but significant technical experience is not required.

This position requires a minimum commitment of 20 hours per week and is unpaid.

Use the Smithsonian Online Academic Appointment System (SOLAA) to apply: https://solaa.si.edu. The application deadline for Fall 2012 is July 1.