Hi Sean, thanks for this...

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Sean Luke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> James, I think it'd be great if we got a maxsize parameter added.  But we need to make sure that it's included in all GP operators which can increase the tree size.  I think that's:
>
> - CrossoverPipeline
> - MutationPipeline
> - InternalCrossoverPipeline
> - MutateDemotePipeline
>
> It'll take me a while to get that copied to all of them, if you can't beat me to it.

Understood -- leave it with me and I'll send a new patch soon.

Should the limit apply during initialisation also?

> BTW, your setup() method uses getInt( rather than getIntWithMax( but you're talking about maximums.  That doesn't look right.

Not sure if I understand this...? There's no limit on how large the
user might want to set the maxSize parameter.

I used the same approach as maxDepth, for which the setup method uses
getInt(). Except that I used -1 as the default value which indicates
that there's no maxSize. Is that ok?

> We'd either need to enable ECJ to run without the max-size parameter in a parameter file or include it in the koza.params file.

I think it should just default to the existing no-size-limit behaviour
if the parameter isn't specified.

James

--
Dr. James McDermott
Natural Computing Research & Applications Group,