Dear Students,
Good luck on exams !

When you have a chance to think about the fall 2012 schedule, look over the BINF and BIOL listings to see what is available. You are able to register for classes now.   If you plan to register for BIOL 563 Virology, BIOL 691 Cell-Based Assays
or BIOL 690 Intro to Grad Studies this fall term, email the course instructor and request a course override.  Click on the envelope icon next to the professor's name listed in the schedule of classes on Patriot Web.  Include your GMU ID number in your email request.  Please see the attached instructions about course overrides.

A reminder that we offer at least one section of BIOL 695 / BIOS 704 seminar each spring and fall semester.

You may be interested in BINF 636, "Microarray Methods/Analysis" as an elective. It is appropriate for students interested in  Proteomics, Functional Genomics and Molecular biotechnology. The course description may be found on http://binf.gmu.edu/courses.html

Dr. Dmitri Klimov is offering a Bioinformatics course that will substitute for the BIOL 580/BINF 630 requirement for molecular concentration in the MS Biology program. It is also BIOL 691, "Molecular Modeling for Biology", 3 credits.  Dr. Klimov notes that a bioinformatics background is not needed for this course.

If you plan to register for BIOL 798 Project or BIOL 799 Thesis credits for the first time in the fall 2012 semester, you will need to have your "Committee Formation" form AND the "Proposal Approval" form signed and sent to me asap.  I will get the dept. approval signatures on the forms, and then send you the CRN to register with. Get a jump start on spring 2013 by forming your Master's thesis or project committee in fall 2012 !

BIOL 693 Directed Studies form is found on http://mmb.gmu.edu/index.php?content=147#146  under "MS Biology".  Please fill in the details in consultation with your professor and send it along to me for registration. This is a good way to work on your thesis proposal while you are forming your committee or narrowing down your thesis or project topic.  It is normally from one to three credits.

Any questions let me know.
thank you,
Diane St. Germain

--