Dear Students,
Good luck on exams !

When you have a chance to think about the fall 2012 schedule, look over
the BINF and BIOL listings to see what is available. You are able to
register for classes now.   If you plan to register for BIOL 563
Virology, BIOL 691 Cell-Based Assays or BIOL 690 Intro to Grad Studies
this fall term, *email the course instructor and request a course
override. * Click on the envelope icon next to the professor's name
listed in the schedule of classes on Patriot Web.  Include your GMU ID
number in your email request.  Please see the attached instructions
about course overrides.

A reminder that we offer at least one section of *BIOL 695 / BIOS 704
seminar* each spring and fall semester.

You may be interested in *BINF 636, "Microarray Methods/Analysis"* as an
elective. It is appropriate for students interested in  Proteomics,
Functional Genomics and Molecular biotechnology. The course description
may be found on http://binf.gmu.edu/courses.html

Dr. Dmitri Klimov is offering a Bioinformatics course that will
substitute for the BIOL 580/BINF 630 requirement for molecular
concentration in the MS Biology program. It is also *BIOL 691,
"Molecular Modeling for Biology"*, 3 credits.  Dr. Klimov notes that a
bioinformatics background is _not_ needed for this course.

If you plan to register for *BIOL 798 Project or BIOL 799 Thesis
credits*** for the first time in the fall 2012 semester, you will need
to have your "Committee Formation" form AND the "Proposal Approval" form
signed and sent to me asap.  I will get the dept. approval signatures on
the forms, and then send you the CRN to register with. Get a jump start
on spring 2013 by forming your Master's thesis or project committee in
fall 2012 !

* BIOL 693 Directed Studies* form is found on
http://mmb.gmu.edu/index.php?content=147#146  under "MS Biology".
Please fill in the details in consultation with your professor and send
it along to me for registration. This is a good way to work on your
thesis proposal while you are forming your committee or narrowing down
your thesis or project topic.  It is normally from one to three credits.

Any questions let me know.
thank you,
Diane St. Germain

--