In the next few weeks you will be asked to complete student course
evaluations.  Perhaps you wonder what the point is and what happens to them.

First, course evaluations are tabulated by the university, and faculty
receive the results long after they have submitted the grades at the end
of the semester, so there is no effect on your grade by completing them
honestly.

Second, the university keeps an eye on the numerical tabulations for
faculty.  No one believes these numbers tell the full story, but they
tell at least part of it.  You are encouraged to add written comments on
the back of the evaluation sheet and these are returned to the CEIE Dept
first, and then to the instructor.  This gives you a chance to say way
more than the numerical scores.

First or second time instructors are especially open to constructive
comments, for example "more homework before tests would be helpful", or
"posting homework solutions on line would be helpful" or "the course
used too much powerpoint" or "the guest lecturers, especially the one
from ABC, were excellent complements to the course", or "the field trips
demonstrated concepts that I had not understood fully in class", or "the
professor was really well-organized for every class and it showed".
This will benefit students who follow you, and you can benefit from
students ahead of you.

And I read the course evaluations, too, so your comments alert me to
problems that needs to be addressed, or tell me that we've made a good
choice of faculty.

So help us out, and help yourself at the same time.

DJG

Deborah J. Goodings, PhD, P.Eng, D. GE, F.ASCE

Dewberry Professor of Civil Engineering

Department Chair
Dept. of Civil, Environmental & Infrastructure Engineering
Volgenau School of Engineering

Nguyen Engineering Building, Suite 1300
George Mason UniversityMSN-6C1, Fairfax, VA 22030

Tel +1-703-993-1675;Fax +1-703-993-9790;[log in to unmask]

http://www.civil.gmu.edu/people/deborah-goodings/