-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[SANG Seminar] -- 09/30 12:00 PM -- Energy-Aware
Standby-Sparing Technique for Periodic Real-Time Applications
Date: 	Mon, 19 Sep 2011 22:27:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: 	Songqing Chen <[log in to unmask]>
To: 	undisclosed-recipients: ;

Dear all,
[apologies if you receive multiple posting]

Please mark your calendar.
Date: 09/30/2011

Time: 12:00 - 1:00 PM

Venue: Engineering Building 4201

Speaker: Mohammad Haque

Title: Energy-Aware Standby-Sparing Technique for Periodic Real-Time
Applications

(A paper to be presented at ICCD 2011)

Host: Hakan Adyin

Songqing

Abstract
In this talk, we present an energy-aware standby-sparing technique for
periodic real-time applications. A standby-sparing system consists of
a primary processor where the application tasks are executed using
Dynamic Voltage Scaling (DVS) to save energy, and a spare processor
where the backup tasks are executed at maximum voltage/frequency,
should there be a need. In our framework, we employ
Earliest-Deadline-First (EDF) and Earliest-Deadline-Late (EDL)
scheduling policies on the primary and spare CPUs, respectively. The
use of EDL on the spare CPU allows delaying the backup tasks on the
spare CPU as much as possible, enabling energy savings. We develop
static and dynamic algorithms based on these principles, and evaluate
their performance experimentally. Our simulation results show
significant energy savings compared to existing reliability-aware
power management (RAPM) techniques for most execution scenarios.

Bio
Mohammad Atiqul Haque is a PhD student at George Mason University. His
research interest includes real-time systems and low power
computing. He is focusing on problems of fault-tolerant and
energy-aware scheduling of real-time systems. His research advisor is
Prof. Hakan Aydin. He completed his BSc in CSE from Bangladesh
University of Engineering and Technology in 2006. He received his MS
in CS from George Mason University in 2010.