Sean -
   Here's one opinion: I see having distinct RNG's as illuminating
rather  than confusing, particularly if appropriately commented.

It seems too often an RNG is viewed like a system service - just
hook in if you want a random number. But this issue with the
GUI illuminates that if you have a path in your program that
may be non-deterministic - such as data communications, human
interaction, input size, etc - and if that path also uses the same RNG
as the rest of your otherwise deterministic experiment, inconsistency
will occur. Further, I've encountered people who seem blocked on the
concept of having multiple generators for multiple purposes. So
having more than one in the sample code could be useful in that
way, as well as preventing the issue Chris encountered.

-Mike