-------- Original Message --------
I hope you will consider sharing the following opportunity with graduate
students in your programs who may be seeking part-time employment.
Fairfax County Public Schools AVID program has partnered with George
Mason University to recruit and train tutors for the AVID program. AVID
offers both paid and volunteer opportunities to graduate students to
tutor in local area middle and high schools. More information follows:
AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is a national college
preparation program offered as an academic support class held during the
school day in 18 Fairfax County middle and high schools.
• Tutor/facilitate small groups of college-bound students in a variety of
academic subjects during the school day.
• Use higher level questioning strategies to help students develop a
of college preparatory skills.
• Must possess excellent rapport with middle and high school age students
• Display the willingness to serve as a positive role model.
• Work with motivated, bright students, who will succeed in advanced
courses and in college because of their determination and your support!
• Grad students are paid $16.22/hour.
• Prospective Tutor Orientations are being offered in late August.
Register today for the best employment opportunities!
For more information on AVID, contact Cathie Grant-Goodman,
AVID Tutor Coordinator at [log in to unmask]
Assistant Vice President
George Mason University
MS# 2A4, 4211 Student Union I
4400 University Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030