Sure.  2D and 3D displays in the MASON tarball on the website can be
updated every N steps -- it's there in the GUI.  On SVN there's a new
version of both which have more options.  You can update every N
steps, or every N seconds, or never, or always.

At present this isn't exposed to the developer, but on the SVN version
there's a function called shouldUpdate() which handles things and can
be overridden -- it's called every step (at least), asking whether a
repaint should be requested, and returns true or false.  I should get
it set up so you can set it up programmatically without having to do
an override.

Sean