Dear Colleague,

On behalf of the Conference Organizing Committee, I would like to inform you of the:

THIRD INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON SCIENCE IN SOCIETY
The Catholic University of America
Washington D.C., USA
5-7 August 2011
http://www.science-society.com/conference-2011/

This conference addresses the social impacts, values, pedagogies, politics and economics of science. It is an inclusive forum that welcomes a breadth of perspectives on science from practitioners, teachers and researchers representing a wide range of academic disciplines.

The Science in Society Conference is held annually in different locations around the world. The Conference was inaugurated in 2009 at Cambridge University, Cambridge, UK, and was held at Universidad Carlos III de Madrid in 2010. We are pleased to hold this year's conference at The Catholic University of America in Washington D.C.

The conference will include presentations by the following plenary speakers:

- Sandra L. Hanson, Professor and Research Fellow at Institute for Policy Research and Catholic Studies, The Catholic University of America, USA
- Chris Impey, University Distinguished Professor and Deputy Head of the Astronomy Department, University of Arizona, USA

In addition to Plenary Presentations from leading speakers in the field, the Science in Society Conference includes parallel presentations by practitioners, teachers and researchers. We invite you to respond to the conference Call-for-Papers. Presenters submit their written papers for publication in the peer refereed "International Journal of Science in Society". If you are unable to attend the conference in person, virtual registrations are also available which allow you to submit a paper for refereeing and possible publication in the journal as well as the option of uploading a video presentation to our YouTube channel.

The deadline for the next round in the call for papers (a title and short abstract) is 21 June 2011. Future deadlines will be announced on the conference website after this date. Proposals are reviewed within two weeks of submission. Full details of the conference, including an online proposal submission form, may be found at the conference website: http://science-society.com/conference-2011/.

In 2012 the conference will be held at the University of California, Berkeley from 15-17 November 2012.

We look forward to receiving your proposal and hope you will be able to join us in Washington DC in August.

Yours Sincerely,

Prof. Karim Gherab Martin
***