Inferring Non-Observable Object Properties
GRAND Seminar 11:00 am, May 26, Thur., 2011, ENGR 4201

Hedvig Kjellstr÷m
Associate Professor
Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden

http://www.csc.kth.se/~hedvig

Host:

Jana Koseka

Abstract:

The great majority of object analysis methods are based on visual
object properties - objects are categorized according to how they
appear in images. Visual appearance is measured in terms of image
features (e.g., SIFTs) extracted from images or video. However,
besides appearance, objects also have many properties that can be of
interest, e.g., for a robot who wants to employ them in activities:
Temperature, weight, surface softness, and also the functionalities or
affordances of the object, i.e., how it is intended to be used. One
example, recently addressed in the vision community, are chairs.
Chairs can look vastly different, but have one thing in common: they
afford sitting. At the Computer Vision and Active Perception Lab at
KTH, we study the problem of inferring non-observable object
properties in a number of ways. In this presentation I will describe
some of this work. These methods can be seen as ways of incorporating
contextual information in object detection and recognition. I will
also describe our work on contextual human pose estimation: two
different approaches to improving the estimation of human pose using
object context.

If you would like to meet with the speaker contact [log in to unmask]