JOINT ECE - SEOR SEMINAR

Info-Gaps and Strategic Planning: Theory and Applications

Yakov Ben-Haim

Yitzhak Moda'i Chair in Technology and Economics

Technion - Israel Institute of Technology

February 9, 2011 (Wednesday), 2.00 - 3.00 PM

Nguyen Engineering Building, Room 3507

Abstract. Info-gap theory is a method for analysis, planning, decision and
design under uncertainty. The future may differ from the past, so our models
may err in ways we cannot know. Our data may lack evidence about surprises:
catastrophes or windfalls. Our scientific and technical understanding may be
incomplete. These are info-gaps: incomplete understanding of the system
being managed. Info-gap theory provides decision-support tools for modeling
and managing severe uncertainty. After discussing the differences between
info-gap and probabilistic uncertainty, we review a wide range of
applications of info-gap decision theory. We then address in somewhat more
depth applications to model-based predictions and to system selection with
limited information.

Bio. Prof. Yakov Ben-Haim initiated and developed info-gap decision theory
for modeling and managing severe uncertainty. Info-gap theory is applied in
engineering, biological conservation, economics, project management, climate
change management, homeland security, medicine, and other areas. He has been
a visiting scholar in Australia, Canada, England, France, Germany, Italy ,
Japan, Korea, Netherlands, Norway, and the US. He has lectured at
universities, medical and technological research institutions and central
banks around the world. He has published more than 80 articles and 5 books.
He is a professor of mechanical engineering and holds the Yitzhak Moda'i
Chair in Technology and Economics at the Technion - Israel Institute of
Technology.

Seminar credit to ECE graduate students