Hi,

I understand that you have recently received an invitation to apply to the Oxford Honors Program.
That's just great.  [For your ready reference, I'll attach that invitation letter again.]

I'll be the Faculty Director in Oxford this coming fall, and so I wanted to introduce myself to you.
Details can be found here (
http://mason.gmu.edu/~mgabel/), but the short version is that I'm an
Associate Professor of Mathematics and Integrative Studies within New Century College, have
taught at GMU for over 30 years, have traveled all throughout the world - and have loved every
minute.

Some of you have already taken the first steps in the application process.  But, for those of you
who are hesitant, let me suggest that the opportunities open to you at Oxford (from the invigor-
ating and substantial academic challenge to the heady atmosphere of both the city of Oxford
and the Oxford campus to the interactions with academically like-minded students) are unparal-
leled.   That short semester at Oxford will become part of you and will stay with you as you seek
to find your place in the world, providing both confidence and connections.

Sounds a bit over the top, doesn't it?  Except it's not.  The Oxford Honors Program is really special.
Yes, it's expensive; yes it might not fit exactly with your program/schedule; and yes, it's (far) away
from home.  But, it's completely worth it.  And, -- if not now, when?

If you want to write to me with some questions, that would be fine.  Let me ask, though, that you
start by attending one of the Application Information Sessions offered by the Center for Global
Education.  A schedule, as well as additional program information, can be found on the program's
website:
http://globaled.gmu.edu/programs/semester/oxfordhonors.html. If none of those times
meets with your schedule the Center for Global Education program officer for Oxford, Marie alice
Arnold, would be happy to meet with you individually.  She has particular expertise in the applica-
tion process, including the construction of your tutorial proposals.

I wish you the best as you think about this decision.

Sincerely,

Dr. Michael Randy Gabel