The text online looks good. It would be great to have a more extensive text my students can use in my annual OOP-ABM course.

I would continue to go with series of very simple with tutorials. Many folks have just learned simple Java, and now want to use Mason. I use one red fish wandering around a grid, then a red and a blue fish, then lots of red and blue fish, then red fish eat blue fish on contact, then eating with new ones popping in. Another favorite is 1000 particles wandering randomly around and one still particle in the middle. Any particles that touch a still particle become still as well (code immediately returns to the sim when stepped). This is a great counter-intuitive accretion algorithm which demonstrates emergence. It is extremely short code with cool results.

Anyway, extremely simple examples in the book are better than anything more complex, given that more complex examples are in the toolkit itself. However, examples later on of connections with ECJ, etc. would be helpful as well.

Just some ideas.

John

John W. McManus, PhD

Director, National Center for Coral Reef Research (NCORE)

Professor, Marine Biology and Fisheries

Coral Reef Ecology and Management Lab (CREM Lab)

Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS)

University of Miami, 4600 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, 33149

[log in to unmask]      http://ncore.rsmas.miami.edu/

Phone: 305-421-4814

  "If I cannot build it, I do not understand it."

              --Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate

John.