Greetings Mason Colleagues,

On behalf of the ABFAS Executive Committee I wish you season's greetings and best wishes for a happy and prosperous New Year!

I’d like to take this opportunity to update you on what ABFAS has done in 2010 and what we have in motion for 2011…

-- We welcomed two new members to the executive committee; Ms. Carol Daugherty (Director, Corporate & Foundation Relations) and Ms. Mariama Boney (Director, University Information).

-- We invited Director of Equity & Diversity Services, Mr. Corey Jackson to speak with the organization to ascertain ABFAS status on campus and with the administration.

-- Over the summer months we revised the organization’s By-laws and proposed new initiatives.  The revisions were reviewed, and the organization requested a meeting with the Provost and other Administrators to discuss the new ABFAS.

-- December 14th, 2010 the executive committee met with Provost Dr. Peter Stearns, Sr. Vice President Dr. Maury Scherrens, and Corey Jackson to discuss the future of ABFAS and renewing visible support from the administration going forward in the New Year.  We’re pleased to report that we are encouraged by the administration’s response and anticipate engaging with them regularly on a host of activities and initiatives.

-- ABFAS continued to hold its monthly community lunch gatherings and Happy Hour Meet-n- Greets.

In summary, the Association is moving forward and rebuilding its presence at Mason.  In November, we submitted proposals to host an event for Black History Month.  The proposal was accepted and ABFAS will host: Black History Trivia: Celebrating the Educators – Sharing the Legacy, February 18th, 2011.

We hope you will make a commitment in the New Year to participate in the organization’s meetings and activities – attending our monthly lunch gatherings, meet-n-greets, and special events throughout the year.

We look forward to seeing you all in the New Year!

Sincerely,

Kevin R. Slaughter, Capitol Connection/GMU-TV

Interim President, Association of Black Faculty, Administrators & Staff (ABFAS)