*
*    GRAND Seminar
*
*    http://cs.gmu.edu/~robotics/Main/GrandSeminar
*

*Title*

Advancing Robotics Through Simulation and Modeling

*Time/Venue*

Nov/02/2010, Tuesday noon-1:00pm. ENGR 4201

*Speaker*

Evan Drumwright
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Computer Science
George Washington University

*Abstract*

Modeling the dynamics of robots is a necessary part of robotics.
Roboticists use dynamics models for testing robot code, for optimizing
robot controllers, and for learning to perform tasks offline, among
other purposes. In the broader picture, these same technologies enable
animated movies, more realistic computer games, virtual prototyping,
and numerous additional applications. While the science behind such
dynamic models (i.e., Newton's laws of motion) is relatively simple,
simulating models interacting with contact has proven to be
surprisingly difficult. I'll explain why that is the case and describe
our solutions to the significant problems that we encountered. I will
show how our simulator, Moby, is able to simulate robotic scenarios
that other systems cannot handle. The presentation will include many
videos, including numerous computer animations simulated using Moby.

*Short Bio*

Evan Drumwright is an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at The
George Washington University in Washington, D.C. Dr. Drumwright
completed his Ph. D. in Robotics at the University of Southern
California in 2007. His research interests are in building software to
control humanoid and manipulator robots and in dynamic robotic
simulation. He collaborates with Honda Research Institute in Mountain
View, CA and with Willow Garage in Menlo Park, CA to create better
robot simulations toward the goal of getting their robots to perform
occupational tasks. Dr. Drumwright also develops the free multibody
dynamics simulator Moby (http://physsim.sourceforge.net), which is
targeted to simulating the dynamics of manipulator and humanoid
robots.

--
*Jyh-Ming Lien*
Assistant Professor, George Mason University