-------- Original Message --------
Subject: A Giving Opportunity: Support our Black/African Heritage Students
From: David C. Atkins <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Black Faculty, Staff and Administrators:

The George Mason University Black Alumni Chapter has established the Black Scholars Endowment Fund. The Chapter is fundraising to secure a minimum of $25,000 in donations to start the endowment.  The endowment will be used to provide financial support to undergraduates who have maintained a high level of academic achievement while giving back to the university through service or taking a course offered through the African and African-American Studies program.  First preference for awards will be given to students of Black/African Heritage.  The costs associated with a college education can be a barrier to gaining a college degree; the Black Alumni Chapter is committed to assisting students in obtaining their educational goals at Mason through the Black Scholars Endowment Fund.

On October 2, 2010, Mason black alumni and students representing the National Pan-Hellenic Council of Fraternities and Sororities performed in the Mason Alumni Weekend Step-Off to raise funds for the endowment. Additionally, each organization participated in a Black Greek Challenge.   As a result of these efforts and others, we have raised more than half of the required amount.  We are now reaching out to Mason's Black Faculty, Staff and Administrators to assist in reaching our goal.  Will you consider a gift of $25, $50, $100 or more?  All gifts are tax deductible. We want you to be part of the success of this established endowment as you have been in the past supporting Mason Black/African Heritage students. Funds may be contributed online at http://bac.gmu.edu .  Look for the yellow BAC button on your left.
You may also mail contributions to George Mason University, Black Alumni Chapter, MS 3B3, 4400 University Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030, noting Black Scholars Endowment in the "memo" section of your check. Checks should be made payable to GMU Foundation.

For more information, please contact the Black Scholars Endowment Chair at [log in to unmask] or 703-993-3402.

With Mason Spirit,

David C. Atkins, ‘90
Black Scholars Endowment Chair