*-------- Original Message --------*
Subject: 	A Giving Opportunity: Support our Black/African Heritage Students
From: 	David C. Atkins <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Black Faculty, Staff and Administrators:

**The George Mason University Black Alumni Chapter has established the *Black
Scholars Endowment Fund*. The Chapter is fundraising to secure a minimum of
*$25,000* in donations to start the endowment.  The endowment will be used to
provide financial support to undergraduates who have maintained a high level of
academic achievement while giving back to the university through service or
taking a course offered through the African and African-American Studies
program.  First preference for awards will be given to students of Black/African
Heritage. The costs associated with a college education can be a barrier to
gaining a college degree; the Black Alumni Chapter is committed to assisting
students in obtaining their educational goals at Mason through the Black
Scholars Endowment Fund.

On October 2, 2010,Mason black alumni and students representing the National
Pan-Hellenic Council of Fraternities and Sororities performed in the Mason
Alumni Weekend Step-Off to raise funds for the endowment. Additionally, each
organization participated in a Black Greek Challenge.**As a result of these
efforts and others, we have raised more than half of the required amount.*We are
now reaching out to Mason's Black Faculty, Staff and Administrators to assist in
reaching our goal.Will you consider a gift of $25, $50, $100 or more?All gifts
are tax deductible. *We want you to be part of the success of this established
endowment as you have been in the past supporting Mason Black/African Heritage
students.**Funds may be contributed online at *http://bac.gmu.edu *. Look for
the yellow BAC button on your left.
You may also mail contributions to George Mason University, Black Alumni
Chapter, MS 3B3, 4400 University Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030, noting Black Scholars
Endowment in the "memo" section of your check. Checks should be made payable to
GMU Foundation.**

For more information, please contact the Black Scholars Endowment Chair at
[log in to unmask] or 703-993-3402.

With Mason Spirit,

David C. Atkins, '90
Black Scholars Endowment Chair