The campus Starbucks might be a good spot.
I've found that trying to meet people in the JC is often more trouble than
it's worth, given how hard it is to describe locations to people within the
building.

The most effective for me, though, I gotta say, has been using Meebo so that
I'm available at specific times on IM. I get so many more questions over IM
than people will typically come in to an office to ask.

YMMV, of course.