Parallel sequences should work like a charm: for example MASON's
HeatBugs example uses one.

We recently had some discussion on the list about making sure that the
parallel sequence's threads are properly gathered by simulation's end,
but that shouldn't affect you at all.

The entire of a parallel sequence will be executed in one step.  So
for example if you want all your fish to gather read-only (be
threadsafe remember) information about their world, and have four CPUs
on your machine, you could create a ParallelSequence which holds four
Sequences, and load your fish, roughly balanced, into those four
Sequences.  Each time the schedule steps, all the fish will be stepped
once.

Some possible places where you might be making an error: any chance
you're rescheduling your fish agents rather than rescheduling the
ParallelSequence?  And don't use a RandomSequence inside a
ParallelSequence.

Sean