Thank you for the quick response!  I have used GAs with ECJ with the
classical operators; crossover type, crossover percentage, mutation
rate, etc.  It's a great tool.

I was wondering if ECJ had permutation-based operators as an option
for GAs which I'd read about in a paper that used a GA for scheduling.
 I would be happy with any way to make sure the GA uses the values in
the candidate string without replacement, that ten slots (lets say)
have the numbers 1-10 with no repeats.

I will look to learn more about ACO as well, thank you.

Best regards,
Richard