sounds good - as I've been working through the code I haven't seen it used
an awful lot.

If this chunk of the code is on the table, any thought to using the java
logging facility (in java.util) for system-focused logging, rather than domain-
focused reporting and progress monitoring?

I'd like to see/work on some more general instrumentation though.  The
statistics and fitness classes could use some generalization.  I'm discovering
that trying to build in deeper instrumentation is requiring tweaks to
fundamental classes (like Problem classes, Individual and Population
classes...).  There aren't a lot of hooks for things like Observer patterns...

cheers,
daniel