Print

Print


No, automatic.  But it was happening on all versions of Java and  
various versions of MASON, even old ones.  Which suggested me it was  
likely an error in Apple's drawing queue, which they've back-updated  
for all the Java versions except 1.3.  Anyway, gone now.

Sean

On Feb 10, 2010, at 3:48 PM, Miles Parker wrote:

>
> On Feb 10, 2010, at 12:13 PM, Sean Luke wrote:
>
>> It looks like it was an Apple java bug: I just did another upgrade  
>> to an even more "latest" java release and the problem went away.
>> Was definitely not GC, I'd checked for that; and things ran great  
>> when using 3D libraries, go figure.  Looks like it was a bug in  
>> Apple's graphics queue.
>
> I've been working with a new 3D graphics framework in eclipse  
> (GEF3D) and it is consistently faster for 2D graphics as well.  
> They're actually promoting it as an alternative for graphical  
> editors and it works really well. I guess taking advantage of all of  
> those transistors in 3D chips pays off. Which justifies OpenCL, etc..
>
> Did you have to do a manual upgrade? I'm using 1.6.0_17.
>
>>
>> Thanks anyway!
>>
>> Sean
>>
>> On Feb 10, 2010, at 2:49 PM, Miles Parker wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't seen these in my own non-MASON API code using SWT.  
>>> (That's not intended as a snarky comment, just an extra data  
>>> point. :D). But I don't actually think it's AWT because I just ran  
>>> some (pretty simple) Ascape code to see and I asn't seeing this  
>>> either. Are these particularly large models? When you say 2D I  
>>> assume you mean that there aren't any 3@ libs involved.. I'm using  
>>> latest VM under Snow Leopard running under pure 64 bit mode. Two  
>>> thoughts that probably have already occurred to you..
>>>
>>> 1. This sounds like classic GC hyperactivity. Have you taken a  
>>> look with YourKit and/or futzed with heap and permgen? If you  
>>> tweak the gc you should at least be able to see if the policy  
>>> affects the behavior. Do you have a lot of weak references or  
>>> anything like that?
>>> 2. I've forgotten what the other one was.. :) Oh yeah, 3D libs but  
>>> again it doesn't sound like you're using those.
>>>
>>> Miles
>>>
>>> On Feb 10, 2010, at 8:21 AM, Sean Luke wrote:
>>>
>>>> I've noticed that when running under the latest version of Java  
>>>> on OS X, simulations will run fine under 2D visualization, then  
>>>> suddenly drop to half their speed for a few seconds, then jump up  
>>>> to full speed again, and back down, and so on.  I'm trying to  
>>>> nail down what might be the problem.  I regressed to very early  
>>>> versions of MASON and they're all having the problem so I suspect  
>>>> it may be something tickled by Apple.  However I can't reproduce  
>>>> it with simple animation tests outside of MASON.  Has anyone else  
>>>> seen this?
>>>>
>>>> Sean
>
> Miles T. Parker
> President and Chief Software Architect
> Metascape, LLC
>
> tel: 509-643-4441
> skype: milestravisparker
> mailto:[log in to unmask]
> http://metascapeabm.com
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/milestparker
> http://milesparker.blogspot.com
>