We would like to invite you and any students at your school who are interested in careers in medical and biological research and biodefense to join us for an Education and Career Symposium on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 in conjunction with the annual NCI-Frederick and Fort Detrick Spring Research Festival.  The event is sponsored by the National Interagency Confederation for Biological Research (NICBR), a partnership of government agencies with laboratories at Fort Detrick, including the US Army, the National Cancer Institute, the Department of Homeland Security, the Department of Agriculture, the US Navy, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  The goal is to present an overview of research being performed by the various NICBR partners, through presentations and laboratory tours, and to provide information on educational and employment opportunities.

The symposium will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.  Sign-in will begin at 8:00 a.m. During the morning, representatives from the various NICBR laboratories will describe their research programs and opportunities for internships, fellowships and employment.  After the morning presentations, we will offer tours of the various laboratories.  Participants will be on their own for lunch.  Several restaurants are available on Post and food vendors will be available at the Festival.  Because of security concerns, it will be necessary for each agency to carry out standard “background checks” so all participants are required to register ahead of time on our web site:

http://web.ncifcrf.gov/events/nicbr/default.asp.

The Spring Research Festival is a great place to see the nature of our research, the discoveries we have made, and the challenges we face in the fight against cancer, AIDS and other infectious diseases worldwide.  Participants will have the opportunity to learn about job opportunities in the NICBR by meeting with representatives of government agencies and contract hiring organizations at the Festival:  http://web.ncifcrf.gov/events/springfest.

Driving directions to Fort Detrick and parking at the conference center are also on this site.  Although the tours are open to both US and non-US citizens, it is essential that everyone register early to provide sufficient time for the clearance process.  The deadline for registration is April 21.

Please share this information with your students and colleagues. You may contact Dr. Mike Bray directly at [log in to unmask] if you would like more information.

We look forward to seeing you at the NICBR Education and Career Symposium!

Sincerely,

Mrs. Peggy Kunka

US Army Garrison Fort Detrick

Chair, NICBR Education and Training Working Group

Mrs. Julie Hartman

NCI-Frederick

Chair, Spring Research Festival