-------- Original Message --------

Subject: Invitation to Women's History Month Workshop: Deconstructing Stereotypes & Identities
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 15:07:19 -0500
From: Toby Jenkins <[log in to unmask]>

The Kitchen Table: Stirring the Pot – Deconstructing:  Identity, Sexuality, and Queerness

March 21, 2010, 01:00 PM to 06:00 PM (Mason Hall, Conference Room D3)

As part of the 2010 Sojourner Truth Lecture Series, this one-day retreat will examine and dissect the meanings and symbols associated with identity, sexuality, and queerness.  We will explore the various characteristics assigned to women by modern-day society and deconstruct these stereotypes through group discussions, personal reflection, and artistic expression.  We envision self-discovery unfolding within the day’s planned activities. We hope to open up a kitchen table discussion to define and express a clear depiction of what makes up an identity and to create a dialogue for resistance.

Sign-up for the retreat in the African and African American Studies office – Johnson Center 240A or the Women and Gender Studies office – Johnson Center 240K.  Please contact Toby Jenkins, [log in to unmask], for additional information.

Free

Co-sponsored by the African and African American Studies, Women and Gender Studies, and Higher Education Programs