To All -
this is my first interjection in this community. I could not help but respond to this request for
input. I am a graduate student in economics, working with a professor who would very much like to conduct a class in multi-agent systems for economics. I've been working with
MASON for about 6 months now. The system is fascinating (I was a software engineer before
studying economics) but  I sorely feel the need for something like a text.

The professor would very much like to hold a class using MASON or something like it. However, the lack of material is making it necessary to work with less sophisticated systems. From following this list, I can see where MASON is going - in fact, I have had discussions  with faculty about using a game engine for multiagent simulations. But lack of examples in a text format is holding things back.

Given the brief time period that a teacher has to conduct a class - with people from diverse backgrounds coming to the material for the first time- it is almost impossible to work without some kind of text.

From talking to other students and faculty, I see packages like MASON as the next wave of tools to be used in economics. You can only go so far with a system like NetLogo. NetLogo is a good package but at some point, people want to have more flexibility than it offers. The use of Java is so prevalent world-wide that it is a natural next step for students.

Having a wiki or text on MASON is an excellent idea.

                                          Jack Sexton
                                          San Jose State University