GMU Software Engineering <http://cs.gmu.edu/%7Esmalek/seminar.html>  Seminar
Series

Date: Friday, 10/16/2009
Time: 2 - 3pm
Location: 4705 Engineering
This event is cosponsored by the C4I Center and the student chapter of IEEE

Title: Tulips, Potatoes, Apples, ISO 9001 and the CMMI

Speaker: Nelson Perez

Abstract
There are many influences that come into play when creating new processes or
improving existing processes. One can be a result of processes or
experiences people bring into an organization from the outside. Others
include the influence of existing company culture; or having to be in
compliance with a particular best practice model like the CMMI or standard
like ISO 9001; or even what one comes across in literature, on the internet
or even at forums such as conferences and SPIN meetings.

We are continually being influenced to change and improve the way we do
things. This presentation shows an example of how influences come in play to
create and improve an example process. In this case, a verification and
validation (V&V) process for a software application that has to meet nuclear
quality standards (NQA-1 and IEEE). We will explore how this example process
comes into existence under various influences, including how it is affected
by personal experience, different best practice models, cultural resistance,
and continuous improvement.

In the end, the most successful processes are those that incorporate
multiple influences to create a best fit solution. Not unlike how plants
adapt and evolve to successfully survive in a constantly changing world.
Plants do this naturally by pollination, but sometimes plants receive
outside "help" from other sources. These pollination vectors work together
to influence the resulting offspring across multiple generations. In the
end, aren't we all doing the same thing, pollinating and spreading our ideas
and controlling the evolution of processes? This presentation will show how
us human pollinators work together to bring about the continuing adaptations
needed for successful process improvement.

Bio
Nelson Perez is president of Sierra's Edge, Inc. a process development and
improvement consultant. With over 25 years of work experience, he has worked
the entire product development life cycle and held numerous management and
engineering positions on such high visibility programs as the B2 Stealth
Bomber; NASA Space Shuttle; and National Missile Defense. He has worked a
variety of other domains including security systems, information systems,
computer integrated manufacturing, wireless communication, commercial
software development, aircraft systems, and non-destructive testing. He has
co-authored 1 NASA-related patent, has authored several papers and is an
active presenter at conferences, software process improvements network
(SPIN) meetings and other venues. Perez consults with companies in
management, technology innovation and process and business improvement
including ISO 9001:2000, CMMI, and ITIL v3.

Sam Malek, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor

Department of Computer Science

Volgenau School of Information Technology and Engineering

George Mason University

Fairfax, VA 22030-4444 U.S.A.

Phone: +1-703-993-1677

Email: [log in to unmask]