Last chance to apply for fall 2009 graduation -- File now for Spring 2010 graduation !

Since I have to get fall graduation applications approved and sent to the Registrar's office in two weeks, I want to make sure yours is not overlooked !   If you think you might graduate in fall  2009, and I haven't sent you an email to confirm your application, please go online today and file your graduation intent form using Patriot Web, under the "Student Services" section.  You can always withdraw the graduation intent later on if you find you will not graduate in the fall term after all.  Spring 2010 graduation intents are to be filed on Patriot Web by November 20, 2009.  Only Doctoral students need to fill out the additional paper graduation application, found on the Registrar's website.

A reminder that if you plan to graduate in the fall 2009 semester, be advised that the deadline to submit final dissertation or thesis copies with signature sheets to Fenwick Library is Friday December 11, before 5:00 p.m.  The last day to schedule your defense for fall graduation is Friday, December 4.   The Dean's office has said that students are not to schedule a defense during the week the dissertation is due, since that time is needed for any revisions, printing, and signature gathering.  Signatures from the Dept. Chair (acting Chair is Charles L. Bailey), Associate Dean (Richard Diecchio) and College Dean (Vikas Chandhoke) are needed in addition to your committee members. Doctoral and thesis students will follow the graduation requirements listed on the library's website http://thesis.gmu.edu   Biodefense PhD students copied on this email will follow the College of Science requirements.

Please send me your thesis or dissertation defense information at least 3 weeks ahead of the scheduled defense date for the announcement to be sent around.
For theses and dissertations, the College of Science requires four things above all:
1) Students must have a pre-defense with their committee members at least 30 days prior to the scheduled public defense.  Your committee Chair verifies that it has been done with an email to the Dean.  Think of it as a practice run!
2) A format review with Sarah Patton in Fenwick Library is required.  It should be scheduled before you begin writing the dissertation or thesis. Visit http://thesis.gmu.edu for important information and templates for signature sheets.
3) All committee members must be present at the public defense.  No teleconferencing is permitted.
4) The defense may be held at either Fairfax or Prince William campus during day or evening hours when the university is open, but may not be held when the university is closed for holidays or breaks.
If you plan on defending your dissertation or thesis this term, it is important that you schedule it now with your committee members -- Faculty schedules fill up quickly.

As always, please let me know if you have any questions about degree and graduation requirements.

thanks,
Diane St. Germain
--
Diane St. Germain

Diane St. Germain

Coordinator, Biology and Biosciences

Graduate Academic Programs

Molecular and Microbiology Dept.

George Mason University

MS 1H8, 10900 University Blvd. Manassas, VA 20110

Phone (703) 993-4263, Fax (703) 993-8976