*GMU Software Engineering Seminar Series
<http://cs.gmu.edu/%7Esmalek/seminar.html>*

*Date:* Wed, 09/30/2009
*Time:* 12 Ė 1pm
*Location:* 4801 Engineering
Pizza will be served.

*Title:* A Modeling Language for Activity-Oriented Composition of
Service-Oriented Software Systems

*** a paper to be presented at ACM/IEEE 12th International Conference on
Model Driven Engineering Languages and Systems ***

*Speaker:* Naeem Esfahani <http://mason.gmu.edu/%7Enesfaha2/index.htm>

*Abstract*
The proliferation of smart spaces and emergence of new standards, such
as Web Services, have paved the way for a new breed of software systems.
The functional and QoS requirements of such software systems are often
not known a priori at design-time, and even if they are, they may change
at run-time. Unfortunately, the majority of existing software
engineering techniques rely heavily on human reasoning and manual
intervention, making them inapplicable for automatic composition of such
software systems at run-time. Moreover, these approaches are primarily
intended to be used by technically knowledgeable software engineers, as
opposed to domain users. In this talk, we present Service Activity
Schemas (SAS), an activity-oriented language for modeling software
systemís functional and QoS requirements. SAS targets service-oriented
software systems, and relies on an ontology to provide domain experts
with modeling constructs that are intuitively understood. SAS forms the
centerpiece of a framework intended for user-driven composition and
adaptation of service-oriented software systems in a pervasive setting
(SASSY).

*Bio*
Naeem Esfahani is a PhD candidate in Computer Science Department,
Volgenau School of Information Technology and Engineering. He got his
bachelorís degrees on Computer Engineering with major of Software
Engineering from University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran. He also holds a
Master of Science degree in Computer Engineering with major of Software
Engineering from Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran. His
current research mainly focuses on Software Architecture, Autonomic
Computing, Model Driven Development, Pervasive Systems, and Software
Development Processes.

*Title:* On the Role of Features in Analyzing the Architecture of
Self-Adaptive Software Systems

*** a paper to be presented at 4th International Workshop on Models at
Runtime ***

*Speaker:* Ahmed Elkhodary

*Abstract*
In traditional software families, feature-orientation has been shown
effective for bridging the semantic gap between a software systemís
requirements and its architecture. Over the past few years, the
emergence of self-adaptive software systems, which are significantly
more challenging to build than traditional systems, has gained the
attention of the software engineering research community. In this talk,
we show that using features at runtime could alleviate some of the key
challenges of building such systems. The underlying insights are that:
(1) features allow representation of the engineerís knowledge about some
facets of the system that can be used to enhance the adaptation logic,
and (2) features can serve as an abstraction to deal with the
heterogeneity of the underlying architectural models, analytical
algorithms, and implementation platforms. We describe the role of
features in a self-adaptive framework that we have developed, entitled
FeatUre-oriented Self-adaptatION (FUSION). We also report on our
preliminary experience with FUSION that demonstrates the benefits of
using features in different stages of self-adaptation.

*Bio*
Ahmed Elkhodary is a PhD student in Computer Science Department,
Volgenau School of Information Technology and Engineering. He got his
bachelorís degrees in Computer Engineering from King Abdul-Aziz
University, KSA. He also holds a Master of Science in Software
Engineering from George Mason University. His current research mainly
focuses on Software Architecture, Software Product Lines Engineering,
Autonomic Computing, and Online Machine Learning.

Sam Malek, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor

Department of Computer Science

Volgenau School of Information Technology and Engineering

George Mason University

Fairfax, VA 22030-4444 U.S.A.

Phone: +1-703-993-1677

Email: [log in to unmask]