2009/9/22 David R White <[log in to unmask]>
Sounds like a potential application for Java generics?  Generics would also help reduce the number of times casting is required and improve the readability of code.
Ah, generics, is what I was refering to, but I used the word "template" instead. Sorry, c++ habit.
Considering that ECJ is used by a lot of people, the code needs to be understood by a great number of people. That would make improved code readability a very good thing IMO.

Downsides are the amount of work, and possible efficiency concerns.  I'm no expert on the latter.
I don't believe there are "efficiency concerns", but I'm absolutely no java expert. (And Sean commented on this while I was typing)

David