Thanks Sean,
i am going to change to v19 right now. I thought it works already.
However I did add below to my "problem" to get it work. as in your code
Log.D_STDERR is not recognized. I have another relevant question. Is it
possible to evaluate the best individual from my previouse ECJ runs? They
have no "here" records. They are in the form of latex tree. I guess if I
could transfer latex tree to the other form and the machine-read-form-
fitness does not matter. Then I can create a "here" file for my previouse
results.
Thanks very much again.

Zheng

public static final String P_offline_FILE="offline";
public int offline_log;
File offline_File = state.parameters.getFile(
                base.push(P_offline_FILE),null);
if (offline_File!=null) try
     {
         offline_log = state.output.addLog
(offline_File,Output.V_NO_GENERAL-1,false,
                                        !state.parameters.getBoolean
(base.push(P_COMPRESS),null,false),
                                        state.parameters.getBoolean
(base.push(P_COMPRESS),null,false));
     }
    catch (IOException i)
     {
     state.output.fatal("An IOException occurred while trying to
create the log_tailor " + offline_File + ":\n" + i);
     }