Greetings All,

The following message was forwarded to the Communications Committee for your consideration courtesy of our colleague LeRoy LaFleur.  Thanks to all for your continued support of ABFAS.  We look forward to seeing you when we return for our first organizational meeting of the Fall semester on Wednesday, September 9th, 2009 from 12:00 PM - 1:15 PM in the Johnson Center's Paul Robeson Room, 240A.

Have a good day,

KRS

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Fwd: Black Male Academy for Ph.D. Program U of P
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 18:25:34 -0400
From: LeRoy Jason LaFleur <[log in to unmask]>

You all may have already discussed this, but if not, I thought this might be good info to send out to the ABFAS-List.  It sounds like a great opportunity for some of our undergrads.

Best

-LeRoy

Black Male Academy for Ph.D. Program

Please share with friends and colleagues who may be interested

Hi Friends,

I hope you both are doing well. My dean and I are launching an 18-month Academy here at Penn focused on preparing Black males for admission to Ph.D. programs in education immediately upon completion of their
undergraduate studies. We will begin the Academy this fall with 10 Black males who are in their junior year of college; Check it out here: http://www.gse.upenn.edu/blackmen

Each Academy participant will receive a 4-day all-expense paid visit to Philadelphia this fall; opportunities for meaningful engagement with our dean, faculty, graduate students, and Black male alumni; free enrollment in a 3-month Kaplan GRE Prep Course (for which Penn is paying $1,200 per participant); a current Black male Ph.D. student who will mentor him through the application process; and an application fee waiver when he applies for Fall 2011 admission to Penn (valued at $85).

Please forward this link to Black male undergraduates on your campus and encourage them to submit applications by August 21st:

http://www.gse.upenn.edu/blackmen.
Again, the Academy is only for Black men who are starting their junior year this fall and planning to
graduate in Spring 2011.

Many thanks,
Shaun

Shaun R. Harper, Ph.D.
Higher Education Management Program
University of Pennsylvania , Graduate School of Education 3700 Walnut Street, PME 425 Philadelphia , PA 19104
Phone: (215) 898-5147
Website:
http://works.bepress.com/sharper