Dear Colleagues and Students,

I am writing this email to invite you to the 2nd Systems Biology Research Panel in GMU, Fairfax, May 5th (10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m) in Johnson center 3rd Floor Meeting Rm D (FAIRFAX). Please note change of location form the previously distributed advertisement.

We will have an outstanding speaker from Singapore, Dr.Kuznetsov, well known for his bioinformatics-inspired insights in optimizing the search for novel biomarkers of tumorigenesis. We will also have some interesting short presentations from the Molecular & Microbiology and Math departments (see program below this e-mail). Hope to see you there - pizza and coffee will be provided

With best regards,

Ancha

Dr. Ancha Baranova
Associate Professor,
Molecular Biology and Microbiology,
David King Hall, MSN 3E1
George Mason University,
Fairfax, VA, 22030
tel 703-993-42-93
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Program

2nd CoS Systems Biology Research Panel

May 5th , 2009

Johnson center 3rd Floor Meeting Rm D (FAIRFAX)

10:00 a.m.- 3:00 p.m.

Coffee, Pizza and Refreshments

STUDENTS INTERESTED IN SYSTEMS BIOLOGY ARE WELCOME

10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.

Guest Speaker:  Prof. Vladimir Kuznetsov,

Head of the Division of Genome and Gene Expression Analysis
Bioinformatics Institute, Biopolis, Singapore

Genome-Scale Strategy for Systematic Identification of Synergistic Gene Pairs Associated with Survival of Cancer Patients

11:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

Discussions and Pizza

12:00 p.m. to 12:45 p.m.

Ganiraju Manyam (MMB Dept, George Mason University)

Tumor as an attractor toward the use of the global patterns of gene expression in the predictive diagnostics of tumorigenesis

12:45 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Jonathan Bode (Mathematics Dept, George Mason University)

Solving the problem of the minimization of siRNA off-target effects using Tree Sort Algorithm

1:30 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Elizabeth Nohelty (MMB Dept, George Mason University)

"Functional Characterization of the predicted biomarkers of breast carcinoma progression in cell lines and primary tumors"

2:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.  Panel Discussions