Dear Students,

Please consider applying a Summer 2009 undergraduate apprenticeship.  The
deadline for the summer program is April 15, 2009.  Each semester and
summer Mason is able to provide a $1,000 stipend to 16-18 high achieving
undergraduates undertaking original research or creative projects with
their Mason faculty mentors.  If you are interested, you must apply with a
faculty mentor who has agreed to work with you closely.  That faculty
member must also submit an application.  We encourage applications from
all disciplines, colleges, and departments.  In addition to meeting and
working closely with their faculty members, students will meet as a group
three times (in June and July) to discuss professional development issues,
including preparing for graduate school, graduate funding, designing a
poster or other professional presentation, and writing abstracts.  We also
fund students to attend several undergraduate research conferences or
disciplinary conferences, including that of the Colonial Academic Alliance
(CAA).

This program is designed to encourage Mason's high achieving students to
become involved in research and creative projects early in their academic
careers.  We especially encourage transfer students to apply, since many
of them have excelled in the program in the past and might not yet be
aware of this opportunity.  We are also offering a stipend to faculty who
participate to assist them with equipment, material, or related costs
associated with this program (first preference will be given to junior
faculty).

The minimum GPA is 3.0, but please note that the average gpa of an
apprentice is significantly higher.  There are more details on the program
on the UAP website, including profiles of students and their projects:
http://uap.gmu.edu

Here is the link to the faculty and student portions of the application
and related materials: http://uap.gmu.edu/application.html

On the site, you will see that there is also a sample student application
and a mentor's letter that you might find helpful as you work on your
application.   For those of you who have other summer plans, we anticipate
that the deadline for Fall 2009 apprentice applications will be around
August 15th.

For more information, please contact:

Deirdre Moloney, Ph.D.
Director, Fellowships and Undergraduate Apprenticeship Program
Johnson Center 245 MS 2C4
George Mason University
Fairfax VA 22032
(703) 993-2917