Dear History Graduate Students,

As some of you know, Meredith Lair and I have spent several months
assembling a film festival examining the ways in which Hollywood war
films have depicted twentieth-century American conflicts.  The
result, "War on the Silver Screen," is a four-night program that will
present four full-length feature films and bracket them with an
interactive discussion of the ways that these movies have influenced
American attitudes towards war, culture, and memory.  We hope to use
the films to show students the kinds of insights they can glean
through active viewing, and to help them discover how sophisticated
messages can be tucked into movies that seem straightforward.

The festival itself is fast approaching.  We'll be screening Saving
Private Ryan on Monday, Feb. 9; Twelve O'Clock High on Tuesday, Feb.
10; Platoon on Wednesday, Feb. 11; and We Were Soldiers on Thursday,
Feb. 11.  Showtime will be at 7:00pm in the Johnson Center Cinema
(except the final night, whose venue has yet to be announced.)  We'll
begin each evening with a some remarks to provide context for the
film and some key themes to watch for; after the movies, we'll
explore with the audience the subtle and unsubtle lessons these films
carry.

Since the quality of the discussion will be in large part a function
of attendance, we hope to draw a sizable crowd each of the four
nights.  Posters are going up all over campus, and we've advertised
in a variety of other venues as well.  But there is no better
audience than current history students--undergraduates and graduates.

A copy of our flier is attached to this e-mail.  If you have any
questions, Meredith and I are pleased to answer them at
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask] or
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]  With many thanks for your
support--

Christopher Hamner and Meredith Lair

--
Mack P. Holt